Extended car warranty costs range from $1,000 to $4,000, averaging around $2,500. Specific prices vary by location, vehicle, and several other factors.
This guide has details on car warranty cost, prices, and potential savings to help you decide if a car warranty is worth it. Now, these numbers are meant to give you a general idea of the pricing, but the best way to know for yourself is to get personalized quotes from companies you’re considering.
Extended Warranty Cost
Extended car warranty cost information is not always easy to find. Many extended warranty companies can be unclear about pricing, especially those that deal exclusively through agents and dealerships. Even companies that are upfront about pricing do not have fixed contract costs. Extended car warranty costs are determined based on the vehicle being covered.
How Much Does An Extended Warranty Cost?
An extended car warranty costs between $1000 and $4000 in total. This range varies so widely because there are numerous factors that factor into determining how much the specific cost you will pay. Along with these factors, the information below contains information about the specific car warranty costs you can expect with an extended warranty:
Typical Extended Warranty Costs
There are three types of costs to keep in mind when considering an extended warranty plan:
- Down payment: Some providers require that you pay an initial amount at the start of your contract.
- Car Warranty Monthly Payments: This is the price you may monthly, similar to an insurance premium.
- Extended Car Warranty Deductible: At the point of service, you’ll pay a set amount — rather than paying out of pocket for the full repair cost.
Extended Warranty Rates
Below are the rates you can expect for typical extended warranty costs:
- Down payment: $0 to $350
- Car Warranty Monthly Payments: $85 to $250
- Extended Car Warranty Deductible: $0 to $250
Average Cost Of An Extended Warranty
All in all, you can expect to pay about $2500 for your plan in total, with about $300 of this coming upfront. Most people choose monthly payments that average around $100 until the plan is paid for, which usually takes a couple of years.
Extended Car Warranty Prices
To give you a better idea of specific extended car warranty prices, our research team collected quotes for a 2018 Toyota RAV4 with 30,000 miles.
Warranty costs we obtained ranged from just under $1,900 to nearly $3,400. The best extended car warranties from providers like Endurance and CARCHEX were among the most expensive. Each plan had a $100 deductible except for autopom!, which required no money for a covered repair. The other four providers also required down payments from drivers, which ranged from $99 to $340.
Car Warranty Cost: Factors That Determine Your Price
With the ability to offer various plans to fit your needs, one of the strength of third party extended warranties is flexibility. In order to offer this level of flexibility, providers base their pricing on these factors:
- Your car’s age/mileage: Older cars and/or cars with high mileage are more expensive to cover due to the higher likelihood of component failure because of the increased amount of wear and tear on the vehicle.
- Your car’s make/model: Service needs and repair costs vary by vehicle make/model.. Information providers like Kelly Blue Book, Carcomplaints.com, or Consumer Reports have services that are generally reliable when researching your vehicle’s history in order predict service costs.
- Where You Live: The environmental and weather factors in some areas of the country can cause you to pay more for coverage.
- Level of coverage: Plans with more comprehensive coverage cost more than basic plans.
- Electronics: It costs more to cover vehicles with expensive, high tech electronics (bluetooth, seat controls, voice activation, GPS, complex fuel management) then cars without them.
- Deductible Policy: If you are required to pay a deductible on your plan, they are two ways deductibles are usually charged: per warranty service visit or per repair. If per service, you will have to pay two deductible charges if your vehicle needs multiple repair shop visits to get fixed. Additionally, a”disappearing deductible” means that the deductible is waived by the dealer who sold you the extended warranty contract if serviced there.
- Fees: On top of upfront costs, premiums, and deductibles, some plans have recurring/one time fees.
- Maximum Payout Amount: The max payout amount is the maximum amount that you can be paid from an extended warranty contract, usually near total loss amount. Make sure to factor in whether cost is reasonable relative to your liability limits.
- Your driving habits: Driving more miles or in risky/dangerous ways will cost you more.
- Your provider: Some providers are more expensive than others, all things equal.
Car Warranty Plans Cost
While the top aftermarket service contract companies offer a variety of plans, they coverage levels can be roughly split into two categories: bumper to bumper plans and powertrain plans. Bumper to bumper extended warranties, which are generally more expensive, are exclusionary contracts that cover most of the parts on a vehicle.
On the other hand, powertrain extended warranties cover only the essentials needed to make a vehicle run and are most expensive to repair. Powertrain extended warranties are a lower cost option that is often an excellent choice for used vehicles. Comprehensive inclusionary plans and powertrain plus plans are generally mid-range coverage tiers that fall in the middle of these primary options. Below are the prices for both of the main types of warranty plans.
Bumper To Bumper Warranty Price
Below are prices for bumper to bumper extended car warranties from top providers:
*The bumper to bumper extended warranty from Protect My Car has an unlimited payment term.
Average Cost Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty
The average cost of a bumper to bumper warranty is $2,755 total. This comes out to 76 dollars per month of coverage for a 36 month extended car warranty plan and 40 dollars per month for every month of coverage over the average coverage period of 68 months.
How Much Does A Powertrain Warranty Cost?
Below are the prices for powertrain extended warranties from top providers:
Truck Warranty Cost
Just like every other vehicle type, factors like a vehicles age and mileage and your coverage level and period are the biggest factors in determining the cost you will pay for an extended warranty. That said, Truck warranties can sometimes be more expensive because some parts like the suspension and steering may wear more quickly with larger trucks. This is especially the case if you have a 4 wheel drive truck and/or live in a region of the country where it is colder.
Used Car Warranty Cost
The cost of an extended warranty from used car warranty companies increases as a vehicle has higher mileage and age. As you can see from the examples above, a CarShield powertrain plan (Gold) costs more for the 2012 vehicle with 90k miles than a bumper to bumper (Diamond) extended warranty costs for a 2018 vehicle with 30k miles. The reason for this is simple, even though the bumper to bumper plan has a much more comprehensive level of coverage, it is still less costly if the vehicle has less age and mileage because there is a lower chance that there will be major repairs for the newer vehicle.
Extended Warranty For Cars Over 100k Miles Cost
You can get an extended warranty for cars over 100k miles from nearly all of the top aftermarket providers. Generally, the coverage for high mileage car warranties is focused on the powertrain and cost more. While this means you will likely pay over $500 dollars per year for coverage, there are many providers that have affordable powertrain plans for cars with high mileage, which can go a long way in protecting you from paying for the most costly repairs as your vehicle ages.
CPO Warranty Cost
A certified pre-owned warranty comes with a vehicle that you purchase as a part of an automakers CPO program, which generally charges you more for used vehicles that have passed a rigorous inspection from the automaker to insure quality. Much like a new car warranty, the cost of a manufacturer certified used car warranty is difficult to determine because the cost of coverage is built into the price of the vehicle itself. If you can find a CPO vehicle that fits your budget, this is usually a good deal. Just keep in mind that this is a much less flexible option, as you can purchase an aftermarket extended warranty an any point and won’t be restricted to getting the vehicle serviced at a dealership.
Warranty Company Cost Comparison
To give you a better idea of how much an extended car warranty costs, we’ve listed quotes we’ve received from the industry’s top providers below. For personalized quotes, you’ll need to contact these companies yourself.
Endurance: Best Provider
Endurance offers the industry’s best extended warranty coverage with five comprehensive plans and benefits that include tire repairs and replacements, key fob replacements, and a personal concierge service.
Endurance Extended Car Warranty Cost
Here are two quotes we received from Endurance:
CARCHEX: Best for Higher-Mileage Cars
CARCHEX offers plan lengths up to 250,000 miles, making it the best provider if you have an older vehicle. The company is a great choice for new vehicle owners too, though. CARCHEX has an impeccable industry reputation, partnering with leaders like Kelley Blue Book and Edmunds.com, and five comprehensive coverage plans.
CARCHEX Warranty Cost
These are the quotes we received from CARCHEX:
CarShield: Most Affordable
CarShield plans are among the lowest-priced in the industry, and financing terms are generous.
Here are two examples of what an extended car warranty costs with CarShield:
Protect My Car: Best Long-Term Financing
Along with standard vehicle service contracts, Protect My Car offers coverage for routine maintenance that can be especially beneficial for older vehicles that don’t qualify for standard coverage.
Protect My Car Cost
See examples of Protect My Car extended warranty pricing below.
Extended Warranty Estimate
In addition, article reviews how contracts are typically priced and lists sample quotes that our research team gathered while evaluating the best extended car warranty companies. The best way to find out how much an extended car warranty will cost you is to get free, personalized quotes from multiple companies. You can start comparing quotes from our top recommended providers below.
Extended Warranty Cost Estimate
When shopping for extended warranties, it’s always a good idea to compare personalized quotes from multiple companies. Finding cost information can be a hassle, but the process can move along smoothly if you keep the following tips in mind:
- Have your information ready: To provide you with the most accurate quote, the majority of companies will need you to provide your vehicle year, make, model, mileage, and vehicle identification number (VIN). Having this information on-hand when you call can make the quotes process quicker over the phone.
- Contact local dealerships: Some extended warranty companies do not sell directly to consumers but instead work through dealerships. Call around to local dealerships and ask about warranty pricing for your vehicle.
- Negotiate: Contract prices may not be set in stone, and many providers regularly run promotions. Ask about any available discounts, and don’t be afraid to try and drive your price down or ask for additional coverage to sweeten the deal.
- Sleep on it: An extended car warranty can be a major investment. Be wary of any sales agents who try to pressure you into making an immediate decision. If you don’t have a favorable experience when trying to purchase an extended warranty, odds are, you’ll run into even bigger issues when it comes to filing claims.
Start comparing extended car warranty cost information from top providers right away by getting a few free, personalized quotes.
Calculating Extended Warranty Costs
After you get a quote, you can calculate the cost of an extended car warranty yourself. The best way to create a reasonable approximation of a cost estimate so you can understand if an extended car warranty is worth it is to calculate the prices you were quoted from the provider’s estimate, look for any hidden fees in the sample contract, and replace your expected yearly vehicle maintenance costs with the price of your deductible.
How To Calculate Extended Warranty Cost
Essentially, all. you need to do is multiply your monthly deductible by the amount of months your extended car warranty payment is. Then, add the down payment and the deductible for the average amount of times you’d need a covered repair. While this method isn’t exact, its a rough estimate that allows you to know how much an extended warranty will cost, especially if you understand your vehicle maintenance costs (below).
Vehicle Maintenance Costs
It’s no secret that the cost of auto repairs really adds up. In fact, the average annual cost of owning a car is $8,469, according to AAA.The average vehicle owner keeps their vehicle for 6.5 years, but rarely do factory warranties last that long. Typically these only last for three years, which means that without an extended warranty, your car is unprotected for more than half of the time you have it. We selected a few common car repairs and found what they cost. With an extended warranty, these repairs could be covered and save you hundreds of dollars.
Car Warranty Period
The period of an extended car warranty, or how long you are covered, is a major factor in estimating the cost of an extended car warranty. Generally, the longer you are covered, the more the coverage will cost. Conversely, while longer coverage periods cost more overall, they also tend to be cheaper per month of coverage. When inquiring about the costs for various coverage periods, many drivers seem to be interested in how much car warranties cost for shorter timeframes. Below are our estimates for of the cost of a car warranty for various periods:
- 12-Month Car Warranty Cost: Expect to pay $1,188 total.
- 2-Year Car Warranty Cost: Expect to pay $2,376 total.
- How Much Is A 3 Year Car Warranty: Expect to pay $3,564 total
While the short coverage terms above aren’t common, some aftermarket service contract providers offer month-to-month coverage options. This is helpful for those who want flexible coverage and the ability to cancel their protection at at any time. Keep in mind that short term contracts and warranties month to month rolling payment plans are generally more expensive than longer term plans.
Average Warranty Costs Per Industry
The help better understand how cost factors work for warranties the chart below has prices for auto, home, and computer (laptop) warranties. Car warranties generally last longer with a higher likelihood that you will need to make a claim. For this reason, they cost more than home warranties which are shorter and have less claims. Warranties for computers, which are also shorter, cost less largely because they are covering a product that doesn’t cost as much.
How much is a car warranty worth?
Extended car warranty services — also known as vehicle service contracts (VSC) — protect you when your vehicle breaks down. The cost associated with it varies, but is ultimately a cost-saving measure. After all, you aren’t stuck paying thousands of dollars when your car needs an unexpected repair! Instead, you’ve paid a reasonable monthly fee that protects your wallet when the time comes, in the same way that auto insurance does.
Moreover, extended auto warranties pay for themselves after just one major repair — It has the potential to save you a lot of money! Ultimately, the value of an extended warranty depends on the reliability of your car and the cost of the repairs it needs. We recommend getting a minimum of 3 quotes to compare pricing for your specific vehicle, location, and more. Below are some additional factors that make an extended warranty worth the money:
- No surprise repair bills. Breakdowns rarely happen at a convenient time. An extended car warranty allows you to be financially prepared.
- Save money. Did you know the cost of an extended warranty is cheaper than many common car repairs?
- Get more life out of your car. People often drive their cars longer than manufacturer warranties last. An extended warranty protects you for years to come.
- Get peace of mind. Knowing you’re covered and not having to stress out-of-pocket repairs put your mind at ease.
Extended Auto Warranty Cost: Conclusion
In this article, we provided specific details for the the cost of extended car warranties, as well as prices for multiple coverage levels from several industry leading providers.
Aftermarket Auto Warranty Price: FAQ
The Detroit Bureau collects data from every major car warranty provider to formulate rankings of the best warranty companies. Our in-depth rating system takes into account coverage, pricing, transparency, customer satisfaction and ratings from industry experts. Each provider is given a weighted score in five categories, as well as an overall score out of 10.0.
We recommend auto warranty companies based on these rankings, but we also encourage you to perform your own research and compare quotes to find the best coverage.